Join us for the 31st Annual Ironman® Sports Medicine Conference – a must-attend event for medical professionals with an interest in Sports Medicine and treating endurance athletes at all levels. Up to 24.25 CME hours of AAFP Credit is offered.
The 2019 conference is October 6-10, 2019 at the Royal Kona Resort, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii ( Big Island) and marks the conference’s 31st year. The Ironman World Championship is Saturday October 12, 2019.
The Ironman Sports Medicine Conference – Overview
The Ironman® Sports Medicine Conference is a non-profit, accredited annual five-day Continuing Medical Education event for medical professionals with an interest in sports medicine and treating endurance athletes at all levels. The conference is the only authorized Ironman®sanctioned sports medicine conference.
The conference provides CME for physicians from the fields of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, PM&R and Orthopedics as well as Physical Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Exercise Scientists and others who care for athletes and/or patients who engage in regular athletic activity.
Each year, the world-renown faculty presents up-to-date science focused on sports and exercise to the approximately 200 medical professionals attend the conference.
In addition, attendees may volunteer their skills in the Ironman Medical Tent on race day; earning up to five CME hours under the conference mini internship program.
The purpose of this course is to present cutting-edge information in the areas of sports medicine, exercise science and common sports related injury and illness that family physicians can directly apply to the care of their active and athletic patients. At the conclusion of the course, participants will be invited to apply lessons learned to the care of athletes competing in the Ironman® World Triathlon Championships as volunteers in the Ironman® Medical tent. They will be allowed to volunteer for 5 hours in the tent under the direct supervision of the Ironman® Conference Faculty. This 5-hour “mini-internship” allows the participant to see hands on application of the material learned in the course.
World Class Faculty
The conference faculty is a world class collection of some of the most prestigious physicians in sports and exercise medicine.
The is approved for up to 24.25 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. 20.25 hours are classroom time and 4.0 hours are earned for volunteering in the Ironman Medical Tent
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ toward the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award. When applying for the AMA PRA, Prescribed credit earned must be reported as Prescribed, not as Category 1.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
1. Describe recent advances regarding various medical problems and their impact on the athlete and exercise performance.
2. Identify current recommendations for proper nutrition in active and athletic patients.
3. Illustrate key skills in the diagnosis and management of common musculoskeletal problems encountered by family physicians.
4. Diagnose common problems encountered by endurance athletes and effectively treat these conditions.
5. Define common medical-legal issues relevant to the sports medicine physician.
Target Audience/Intended Audience
The curriculum is directed to Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, PM&R, Orthopedics specialists as well as Physical Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Exercise Scientists and others who want to earn Continuing Medical Education from leading experts in the field of Primary Care and Sports Medicine.
Join the Ironman Medical Team!
An optional mini-internship is available to conference attendees to earn 4 hours of CME credit by volunteering in the Ironman Medical Tent on race day attending to the race participants.
Win a race slot to the 2020 Ironman World Championship!
Each year we raffle off a race slot to the following year’s race. This is a unique opportunity to gain entry in the 2020 Ironman World Championship.
Each year we feature different workshops and clinics so you can get out an exercise each and every day.
Special Lunches and Lectures by our exhibitors
Our exhibitors offer several special lunches and lectures which vary each and every year.
- 25.25 Hours AAFP CME Credit
- World-renowned Faculty discussing leading edge topics
- Ironman Legends Guest Speaker – Luc van Lierde- 2-time Ironman World Champion
- Win a Race Slot in the 2020 Ironman World Championship
- Volunteer in the Ironman Medical Tent
- On property Swim Clinics (Royal Kona Resort Lagoon)
- Boot Camps and Clinics
- Optional Workshops and Special Lectures
- On-line conference syllabus
- Exhibit Hall
- Four-hour, half-day sessions Sunday through Thursday
- Breakfast during morning sessions
- Welcome Reception
- Fabulous beachfront location on idyllic Kona
- Close to shops, restaurants, shopping and more
- Discounted Royal Kona Room rates
- Discounted car rentals
- On site conference management staff